Past Graduate Student
Jason (BA 1997; MS 2002, PhD 2009) works for the Northwest Fisheries Science Center in Seattle as a fishery research biologist (a.k.a. stock assessment scientist) since 2007. His first contribution to west coast groundfish stock assessments was in 2004. He has been specifically interested in developing methods to confront data limitations that affect scientifically-informed catch recommendations and stock status estimates. He is also interested in the collection and analysis of the basic biological and life history information used in population models. More information on Jason can be found on his NOAA profile.
- Ph.D., University of Washington, School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences, 2008. Issues and Advances in Data-Limited Stock Assessment: Experimentation through Simulation. 223 pp.
- M.S., Marine Science, Moss Landing Marine Laboratories, San Francisco State University, 2002. Phylodemography of the blue rockfish (Sebastes mystinus) from California to Washington. 146 pp.
- Punt, AE, Cope, JM, Haltuch, MA. 2007. Reference points and decision rules in U.S. Federal fisheries: West coast groundfish experiences. p. 1343-1356. In: Nielsen, JK, Doson, JJ, Friedland, K, Hamon, TR, Musick, J, Verspoor, E [Ed.] Reconciling Fisheries with Conservation: Proceedings of the Fourth World Fisheries Congress. American Fisheries Society Symposium 49.
- Cope, JM, Punt, AE. 2007. Admitting ageing error when fitting growth curves: an example using the von Bertalanffy growth function with random effects. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 64:205-218. doi:10.1139/F06-179.
- Waples, RS, Punt, AE, Cope, JM. 2008. Integrating genetic data into management of marine resources: how can we do it better? Fish and Fisheries 9:423-449. doi:10.1111/j.1467-2979.2008.00303.x.
- Cope, JM, AE Punt. 2009. Drawing the lines: resolving fishery management units with simple fisheries data. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 66:1256-1273. doi:10.1139/F09-084.
- Cope, JM, Punt, AE. 2009. Length-based reference points for data-limited situations: applications and restrictions. Mar. Coast. Fish. Dyn. Mgmt. Ecosys. Sci. 1:169-186. doi: 10.1577/C08-025.1.
- Cope, JM, Punt, AE. 2011. Reconciling stock assessment and management scales under conditions of spatially varying catch histories. Fish. Res. 107:22–38. doi: 10.1016/j.fishres.2010.10.002.