Past Graduate Student
Cody (PhD 2014) is currently a Fishery Scientist at the University of California, Santa Barbara with the Sustainable Fisheries Group. His current research projects include: developing cost/benefit analyses data-limited and low-value stocks to determine when added management is appropriate, the impacts of fisheries reform in China, understanding how predictable fisheries dynamics are and developing methods to incorporate environmental influences into management of exploited marine resources. He also moonlights as an assessment scientist for the Alaska Fishery Science Center.
During his stay in the Punt lab, Cody worked on a management strategy evaluation for the fishery for snow crab in the Eastern Bering Sea, resulting in the dissertation, “Reaching management objectives given uncertainty: A management strategy evaluation of the eastern Bering Sea snow crab (Chionoecetes opilio).
- Szuwalski, CS, Vert-Pre, KA, Punt, AE, Branch, TA, Hilborn, R. 2015. Examining common assumptions about recruitment: a meta-analysis of recruitment dynamics for worldwide marine fisheries. Fish and Fish. 16:633–648. doi: 10.1111/faf.12083
- Punt, AE, Szuwalski, C, Stockhausen, W. 2014. An evaluation of stock–recruitment proxies and environmental change points for implementing the US Sustainable Fisheries Act. Fish. Res. 157:28-40. doi:10.1016/j.fishres.2014.03.015.
- Szuwalski, CS, Vert-Pre, KA, Punt, AE, Hilborn, R. 2014. Examining common assumptions about recruitment: a meta-analysis of recruitment dynamics for worldwide marine fisheries. Fish and Fisheries. doi: 10.1111/faf.12083.
- Szuwalski, CS, Punt, AE. 2013. Regime shifts and recruitment dynamics of snow crab, Chionoecetes opilio, in the eastern Bering Sea. Fish. Ocean. 22:345-354. doi:10.1111/fog.12026.
- Szuwalski, CS, Punt, AE. 2013. Fisheries management for regime-based ecosystems: A management strategy evaluation for the snow crab fishery in the eastern Bering Sea. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 70:955-967. doi:10.1093/icesjms/fss182.
- Punt, AE, A’mar, TA, Bond, NA, Butterworth, DS, de Moor, CL, De Oliveira, JAA, Haltuch, MA, Hollowed, AB, Szuwalski, CS. 2013. Fisheries management under climate and environmental uncertainty: control rules and performance simulation. ICES J. Mar. Sci. doi: 10.1093/icesjms/fst057.
- Szuwalski, CS. 2012. Production is a poor metric for identifying regime-like behaviour in marine stocks. PNAS 110(16):E1436. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1301759110.
- Szuwalski, C, Punt, AE. 2012. Identifying research priorities for management under uncertainty: The estimation ability of the stock assessment method used for eastern Bering Sea snow crab (Chionoecetes opilio). Fish. Res. 134-136:82-94. doi:10.1016/j.fishres.2012.08.007
- Punt, AE, Szuwalski, C. 2012. How well can FMSY and BMSY be estimated using empirical measures of surplus production? Fish. Res. 134-136:113-124. doi:10.1016/j.fishres.2012.08.014.
- Szuwalski, CS, Punt, AE. 2012. Fisheries management for regime-base ecosystems: a management strategy evaluation for the snow crab fishery in the eastern Bering Sea. ICES J. Mar. Sci. doi: 10.1093/icesjms/fss182.